3 minute read
This chapter will explain how to install mcx-python. Please select the operating system you are u using:
Installing Motorcortex-Python for Linux
Installing Python 3.7 or lower
Python 3 should already be installed by default on your modern Linux distribution.
- Check if your version is Python 3.7 or lower.
If the version is 3.7 or below, you are good to go.
- If the version is 3.8 or higher, install Python 3.7 and set it as default. This is done by following the actions below.
sudo apt install python3.7 sudo update-alternatives --config python
- The last command will show you an error:
“update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for python”.
- Run the commands below, where instead of “3.x” you fill-in the version is you obtained when running
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python**3.x** 1 sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python3.6 2
- After that run the command below and select python 3.7.
sudo update-alternatives --config python
motorcortex-python can be installed by using the
- To be able to use pip to install python packages this first needs to be installed:
sudo apt install python3-pip
- Then download, build and install the motorcortex-python package via pip.
sudo -H pip3 install motorcortex-python
This will install motorcortex-python for Python3 for all users.
Installation Instructions using virtual environment
MOTORCORTEX-python can also be installed inside a virtual environment. This can be useful if your system has a different python environment that the one required for MOTORCORTEX or if you would like to keep the MOTORCORTEX-python tools separate from the rest of the system for security reasons. A Virtual Environment, is an isolated working copy of Python which allows you to work on a specific project without worry of affecting other projects.
- Check if virtual environment is already installed on your system you can check this using the following command:
- If you see a version number for instance 1.6.1 it is already installed. If not you will have to install Vitrualenv:
sudo apt-get install virtualenv
Setting up Vitrualenv
- You will need a directory for your virtual enviroment. You may choose any location you desire:
- To create a folder for your new app that includes a clean copy of Python3 run:
virtualenv -p python3 ~/virtualenvironment/mcx-env
- We have created this new folder called mcx-env. To begin cd into your new project:
- Now you are in your virtual environment folder you can activate your virtual environment:
- Notice your prompt will have a shell in this case (mcx-env). If you would like to leave your virtual environment type the following command:
Installing Motorcotex-Python in Vitrualenv
- Motorcortex-python can be installed by using the “pip” tool. download, build and install the motorcortex-python package via pip.
pip3 install motorcortex-python
Motorcortex-python is now installed in your virtual environment.